Sunday, July 31, 2016

I'm EXPOSED

On August 28,2006, my home state of Missouri passed a law that forced me to become a instant law-breaker. A child-abuser, if you will. The new law stated: A child must be in a boosterseat if they are ages 4 through 7 who weigh at least 40 pounds, unless they are 80 pounds or 4'9” tall. Children less than 4 years old or less than 40 pounds must be in an appropriate child safety seat.

Whoops...

Ten years ago, I began to see little bottles of hand-sanitizers become a new fashion statement for teens and young moms. Soon after, the once-only sterile, clinical encasements of personal sanitizer were now housed in bright colors, movie-themed wraps, and smelling of Bath & Body Work's "Apple-Cinnamon Dumpling".

I believe in JUST washing my hands, refilling water bottles, taking my 79-pound 8-year old OUT of a booster seat, the 30-second food rule. Oh - and what's wrong with George Costanza eating the chocolate eclair that sat on TOP of the trash?

Have you considered why teachers are RARELY ill...? Oh - they may be out of the classroom due to sickness every other week during their first year of teaching - but after that - they are stalwarts of health. Perhaps they're exposed...

I was sharing a meal with a colleague this past week. In addition to working together, I consider him a very good friend. He shared a story of his father "exposing" him to sex. My friend was a senior in high school. He was leaving the house to go out one Saturday night when his father followed him to the garage. The father looked my friend into his eyes and said, "Hey - I know it'll be hard, but when that girl is on the bed naked, you need to say no..." That was it - never another word spoken about sex between my friend and his dad...

I'm very familiar with families who only expose their children to organic or homemade foods. I find it interesting these children are ill far more often than their peers. Perhaps those kids need to be exposed...

My 13 year old son asked me some months ago, "Dad, when was the last time you masturbated?" I told him. That question arose out of exposing my son to reality. He feels secure and safe to ask me tough questions. Why? Because I've exposed my son...

I've taken both criticism and applause for my parenting style. I've been criticized for what I consider appropriate with the fine line of EXPOSURE vs. PROTECTION. Not only for my kids but for myself. 

I was a terribly naive child. I was exposed to very little of the world around me. I was often left to my own devices of discovery. I had very few "adult" conversations as a teenager and even into adulthood. I wish I would have had more...

The world around me was far off and foreign. I wasn't challenged to order my own food at restaurants, walk into a business and ask for a job application, or understand why binge-drinking as a 16-year old may be a bad idea.This hurt my development...

I believe in exposure. I believe exposure produces critical thinking. Exposure produces inner-strength. Exposure can lead to better self-awareness and confidence. Exposure helps eliminate discrimination. Exposure promotes unity.

But here's the caveat - exposure MUST be paired with discipline and in appropriate volumes. 

Know your own limits - know the maturity and limits of your children. But - please EXPOSE yourself to the world around you. 

I'm not promoting an unfiltered, unfettered adventure into the world. What I am promoting is to expose yourself to the world around you. I promise it's not as bad as you think...

Now - if you'll excuse me - I have to go close the curtains. Someone may be watching...

Happy Exposing...
-Billy


No comments:

Post a Comment