Sunday, July 24, 2016

Here's who I'm voting for...

David Letterman retired from a legendary comedic career in May, 2015. I hold Mr. Letterman in the highest regard. He grasped the "talk show" mantel passed on from Johnny Carson and blazed a NEW trail of comedic brilliance. The most funny individuals are the most intelligent. David Letterman is no exception.

Recently, during Letterman's first interview since retirement, Tom Brokaw, asked him, "Don't you miss being on TV every night - most especially with all the 'craziness' in this year's election - to be able to comment with all the fodder available?" Letterman replied, "you know if our Country's founders were witness to what's going on today, they'd probably think, 'well - there you go - that's how we wanted our election process to work...'"

The checks and balances created in the United States election process were created in purity and goodness. Letterman is correct. Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump are a result of the US cultural and political landscape. America is the chicken and Clinton/ Trump are the egg...

I am an alumni member of the national social fraternity of Alpha Kappa Lambda. Although I've been out of college for many years, my collegiate fraternity brothers remain some of my closest friends. I hold many of these men in the highest regard. I embrace the life-long relational connection I have with my fraternal organization. So much so, I had a man named, Reggie in 1991, permanently scar the outside of my right ankle with the letters, "A", "K", and "L". And there are men named Mike and Paul who no more about my ability to consume Mad Dog 20/20 then I'd like to admit.

We all like being a part of other like-minded individuals. It feels good to be part of a group. It builds camaraderie, provides safety and security, and promotes strength in numbers.

However, when fanaticism and overzealous loyalty replaces individual health and personal boundaries, negative results can ensue.

I often hear, "I'm a Baptist", "I'm a Republican", "I'm a Liberal", "I'm a Catholic". But what do any of these labels really mean?

I believe the US political party system is obsolete. Ross Perot in the Presidential election of 1992 presented a semi-serious alternative to a two-party system. Yet, here today, the United States still promotes a (very flawed) two-party system.

But - what is a Republican? What is a Democrat? Are these the parties of Abe Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, or Ronald Reagan? I think not. Times change and political & cultural landscapes drift and settle and shift and move. And rightly so...

I've heard many friends, family, and Facebook acquaintances make statements, "Well - I have to vote for one of them..."

Why is that? I'm sad to think we've moved to a time and place where voting for the "lesser of two evils" is how we're deciding who resides in the White House and represents the United States.

I'm not political. But I am aware and here's who I'm voting for:

This person...

  • Leads with a servant-heart...
  • Believes in personal responsibility AND helping those who need it...
  • Embraces people for their hearts, not their skin-color, who they choose to marry, or in what building (if at all) they worship...
  • Understands more, condemns less...
  • Listens more, speaks less...
  • Displays power and strength more with a pen and a convincing word and less with a firearm (but who supports the right to possess that firearm)
  • Requires everyone to use their turn-signals and when turning  and no one will EVER turn left without a green arrow...
  • Will ensure Baseball is officially named the "America's Pastime"
  • Will pass a law where all 13 year old boys and girls are required to watch Episodes IV, V, VI, and VII of Star Wars...

Let me know who this person is and they'll receive my vote this November...

Don't vote for a party, an agenda, or because a candidate believes 27% of what you believe. KNOW why you vote...

Happy Voting!
-Billy

No comments:

Post a Comment